Friday 5 December 2008

A Wreath for the Door

Skip pulls out the tree today and with it the ratty cardboard box in which we store our eclectic accumulation of decorations for the house and tree. Our main collection of ornaments went into storage several years ago and we have since picked up the odd thing here or there, more with the intent of looking Christmassy, rather than adding to our collection. There are notable exceptions when we have spotted an ornament in our travels, or mom has given us one.

We have silver, gold, and red garlands to drape and intertwine around the house as well as the tree. One small stuffed Santa Claus. We shall have poinsettias and maybe a candle or two. A small pewter tree from my friend Pam. I shall lay our stockings over the banister. And, I have the resin nativity set I bought for our children over thirty years ago: Joseph, Mary, a donkey, and the baby Jesus in a manger. The baby stays in a drawer until Christmas Eve. Doesn't sound like much, all told, but it suffices for now.

But no wreath; just a door decoration. Another two years and I shall be able to look for a lovely wreath to put up every Christmas. I miss wreaths.

No comments: